As a starting place, here are initial recommendations of prompting strategies when using an LLM as part of your scientific research workflow.
- Provide context.
- Include the “personality” you want AI to play, or have it play three “personalities”.
- Be clear and specific with what you want in response.
- Anticipate ambiguity.
- Initially ask about the problem you are trying to solve.
- Take a step back and ask if you are asking the right question (e.g., should I be using JSON or something else for this task?).
- Turn the task around, and have the LLM ask you questions.
- Ask for step-by-step instructions.
- Add that you want comments when providing code.
- Ask for counter arguments or reasoning.