As a starting place, here are initial recommendations of questions to be asked when reviewing research in which an LLM was used as part of their scientific research workflow.
- Were embedding(s) used in the research?
- Is the tool used to create the embedding model provided and described?
- Were multiple embeddings created, tested, or used (i.e., chained)?
- Is the size of chunks used in preparing the data provided?
- Were different sizes of chunks tested for influence on LLM performance?
- Is the size of overlap permitted when creating chunks provided?
- Is the tool used for similarity matching (i.e., vector database) provided and described (e.g., FAISS)?
- Is the code available?